iRobot Roomba 980-Review
Roomba 980 is an exciting hunk of smart, next-gen robot technology today. As can be seen, iRobot company is pioneer in robotics and has been offering slew of such innovative home robots. Markedly, their latest and most innovative model in 900 series is this iRobot Roomba 980. It comes with an array of impressive features for smart cleaning of your home.
It virtually works on any kind of surface and has the ability to clean rooms without much human interference. Smart design of Roomba 980 automatically detects tiles, carpets, rugs, wood floors, etc. and adjusts its vacuum suction power accordingly.
BEST PRICE AT
Impressive Features of iRobot Roomba 980
- Roomba 980 is a low-profile, disc-shaped vacuum cleaner with mesmeric look and sleek black accents. Overall, it measures 3.6” in height and 13.8” in diameter. On the whole, it just weighs about 8.7 pounds and comes with an in-built carrying handle.
- At the bottom, there are wheels for easy movement all across the floor and a vacuuming motor.
- Roomba 980 is not crowded with buttons and controls. It has a simple and easy-to-use interface. On the top, there’s a large ‘Clean’ button, which is flanked by small ‘Dock’ and ‘Spot’ Mode buttons.
- Dock button will direct the device to return back to its Home Base Charging Station for recharging.
- The Spot button will cause the device to clean a certain area with 3 feet diameter.
- At the front, there are indicators for different functions such as Fill Bin, Wi-Fi, Battery, Troubleshooting (it will sound-off error number) and Locate.
- Most impressive feature about Roomba 980 is its low-profile design which allows it to pass underneath furniture like sofas and beds effortlessly.
- Roomba 980 has Floor Tracking Sensors at the bottom and camera on top to help its orientation and navigation. These sensors make sure to keep the device on track and prevent it from rolling off the edges of floor.
- We all know there are few spots in our home with concentrated amounts of dirt. Roomba 980 uses Dirt Detect Technology™ featuring smart sensors which recognize these areas and command the robot to clean them more thoroughly.
- The robot won’t fall down the stairs or flip over drop-offs, as it comes with ‘Cliff Detect’ sensors.
AeroForce 3-Stage Cleaning System
- 3-Stage Cleaning System of Roomba 980 features two 6.2” AeroForce rotating brushes and one spinning side brush to collect peripheral dirt.
- The Edge-Sweeping side brush is deliberately designed with a 27-degree angle to push the dirt towards the center of the device so that the rollers can pick it up.
- Back of the device has a large trash bin with removable HEPA filters. When the device prompts ‘Fill Bin’ indicator, you need to empty the trash bin.
- Auto-Adjust Cleaning Head will adjust its height, so the Multi-surface brushes can stay in close contact with different types of floor surfaces, be it carpets or hard floors.
Dual Mode Wall Barriers- Accessory Included
- iRobot Roomba 980 comes included with 2 Dual Mode Wall Barriers to give you full control over where the robot cleans.
- As the name suggests, Dual Mode Virtual Wall Barrier comes with two modes viz. ‘Virtual Wall Mode’ and ‘Halo Mode’.
- Virtual Wall Mode will keep the robot in the rooms you want to clean and prevent it from entering rooms you don’t want to, by blocking openings up to 10 feet.
- In Halo Mode, the robot will not clean a specific area and create a keep out zone of 4-foot diameter from its center.
- You can set up these virtual wall barriers serving as partition sorts across your space.
- Smart Mapping and vSLAM® (Visual Simultaneous Localization and Mapping) technology of Roomba 980 allow it to smartly navigate your home, find its own path and keep track of where it’s been and what area still has to be covered.
- It will continue to clean for up to 120 minutes, after which it will return to the charging dock when the battery runs low. After recharging, it resumes the cleaning task again, until the job is done.
- High-efficiency Filter is constructed from an innovative material, for it to capture 99% of mites, dust, allergens up to 10 microns size.
iRobot Home App
- Now, you can seamlessly connect this robot with iRobot HOME App installed on Wi-Fi enabled devices. Then, you can prompt it for quick cleaning or schedule it from anywhere, at any time.
- In the app, Clean Map™ displays areas where the robot has cleaned along with coverage and duration details.
- Moreover, the app lets you select different custom cleaning preferences as well.
- Not just that, you will also receive push notifications when the robot completes its job.
- The iRobot Home App is compatible with Android as well as iOS devices.
Carpet Boost Mode
- Roomba 980 features advanced Gen 3 Motor that delivers up to 10x air power whenever in Carpet Boost mode to clean carpets meticulously.
Compatible with Voice Assistance devices
- You can connect Roomba 980 to your personal assistant viz. Amazon Alexa or Google Home. And then, you can ask for “what it’s doing”, “ask it to start cleaning”, “stop cleaning” and so on.
Most impressive features of Roomba 980 have to be its Wi-Fi connectivity, on-board camera, floor pan mapping, advanced 3-Stage Cleaning System, multiple sensors.
- Uses vSLAM® algorithm to smartly map and track its own movement
- Slim design can pass underneath furniture and hard-to-reach areas
- Large wheels for better clearance over thresholds
- Two self-cleaning, multi-surface brushes on the bottom to collect dust, debris
- All-included with Charging Dock and 2 Virtual Wall barriers
- Cliff detection sensors, dirt detection sensors, floor tracking sensors
- Automatic variable suction levels to clean different types of floors
- Compatible with Amazon Alexa and Google Home voice assistance
- Power Boost Mode creates noise, blows out hot air
- Does not clean corners, edges as adeptly as D-shaped robots.
- Not so ideal for cleaning pet hairs
iRobot Roomba 980 is top-of-the-line, next Gen robot vacuum which makes use of advanced technology. Given this fact, it is also one of the most expensive machines in the market.
If you’re simply looking for high-performance robot vacuum with intuitive and innovative features, then definitely Roomba 980 is an optimal choice. This highly engineered device uses smart cleaning methods and advanced design altogether.
iRobot offers standard 1 Year Warranty for Roomba 980, along with 30-day return policy.