iRobot Roomba 890-Review
iRobot Roomba 890 is one and only hi-tech robotic vacuum cleaner to have Wi-Fi connectivity feature amongst 800 series models. Roomba 890 features new Aeroforce Extractors, replacing bristle brushes found in 700 and 600 robot models. New design of extractors helps to amplify suction by 50% and demands little to no maintenance. It cleans a particular area in pseudo-random patterns. It is fully-programmable and battery-powered.
BEST PRICE AT
Detailed review of iRobot Roomba 890
Aesthetics and Design
iRobot Roomba 890 has aesthetically pleasing design. Round-shaped device glistens with its stylish black and brown accents. There’s a handle built into the top as well, so you can pick up the unit and move it wherever you’d like.
At the top, there’s a sleek silver ‘Clean’ button, surrounded by two small ‘Home’ and ‘Spot cleaning’ buttons.
- If you press ‘Clean’ button, the unit will be awakened and it will start to clean.
- On pressing ‘Home’ button, Roomba 890 will take itself towards Home Base Charging Station.
- And for ‘Spot cleaning’ button, Roomba 890 will vacuum a particular area within 3 feet in fixed pattern.
In terms of size, Roomba 890 measures 13.9” in diameter and 3.6” in height.
Exclusive 3-Stage Cleaning System
Roomba 890 implements 3-Stage Cleaning System viz. agitate, extract and suck.
All of the cleaning is done via:
- Dual Extractors: Tangle-free rollers work to agitate dirt and debris off the floor.
- Edge-Sweeping Brush: The side brush is designed at a 27-degree angle. So, it can sweep off dust from edges and corners efficiently and move it towards the suction path.
- Gen 2 Motor: Powerful motor provides 5X more power as compared to previous Roomba models. It sucks-in all the dirt, debris, dust, particles, etc. that comes its way.
When this 3-stage procedure is completed, the High-efficiency Filter traps allergens, dust, mites, etc. as tiny as 10 microns. That is to prevent these allergens from contaminating the air.
Works on All Floor Types
Auto-Adjust cleaning head on Roomba 890 will automatically adjust its height for precise cleaning of different floor surfaces. Be it any type of floor (hard floor or low pile carpet), the device will adapt its height so the rotating extractors stay close to the cleaning surface.
Roomba 890 uses Li-Ion batteries. As compared to NiMH, it can store nearly 30% more power. Hence, the unit can run for a longer period of time comparatively.
Like any other batteries, for the first time, battery requires overnight charging. With full charge, robot works approximately for 1 hour
iRobot HOME App
Now you can control your Roomba 890 robot virtually from anywhere, at any time via iRobot HOME App. All you need to do is download this app on your smartphone and connect it to your Wi-Fi. Then, you can start, stop, pause, and schedule cleaning tasks of your robot vacuum through this app.
Furthermore, you can even view the status of cleaning jobs in the app
Voice Assistant compatibility
Roomba 890 is compatible with Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa voice assistant devices.
In that case, you can ask your Google Assistant or Amazon Alexa-powered devices to dock the robot, start or stop cleaning task.
iRobot Roomba 890 has the ability to operate for approximately 60 minutes. After which, it automatically returns back to the Home Base® Charging Station to recharge itself. On the negative side, it cannot resume cleaning as efficiently as Roomba 900 series robots.
Important to realize, Roomba 890 features smart sensors to map your home and clean it thoroughly.
- Dirt Detect ™ Technology: Roomba 890 makes use of intelligent sensors to detect highly concentrated areas of dirt and dust. With this in mind, it commands the robot to clean these areas thoroughly.
- Cliff detect sensors: Cliff detect sensors integrated into the device prevent it from falling off the stairs.
Dual Mode Virtual Wall Barrier
Roomba 890 comes all-included with a Dual Mode Virtual Wall Barrier. To put it differently, it is a device that controls navigation and acts as a barrier. This Virtual wall barrier will release an infrared beam, which won’t be crossed by Roomba 890 robot vacuum.Thereupon, such virtual wall barrier prevents the
Roomba from entering a particular room or protects certain areas from being cleaned.
The Final Word
Certainly, iRobot Roomba 890 is good enough for anyone who wants a Wi-Fi connected robot vacuum.
Though, Roomba 890 is less expensive as compared to high-end 900 series models. Still, it is more advanced and packed with bonus features than earlier 600 and 700 series robots.
For one thing, Roomba 890 can be customized and controlled via iRobot HOME app. Not just that, you can even see the status of cleaning tasks in the app itself.
Finally, it makes use of hi-tech design, advanced technology and intelligent sensors so as to deliver optimal performance in every which way.
It makes use of hi-tech design, advanced technology and intelligent sensors so as to deliver optimal performance in every which way.
- Wi-Fi connectivity feature is intuitive
- Voice assistant compatibility
- 3-Stage Cleaning system provides thorough vacuuming
- Brushless extractors require less maintenance
- iRobot Home app allows you to schedule and control cleaning jobs
- Equipped with smart sensors
- Does not have visual localization technology (no camera) for precise mapping
- Dustbin is small